Report details the fastest growing bucket-list destinations, activities, top-rated hotels and travel trends for Canadians in the new year
TORONTO, Jan. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — With a new travel year in full swing, Expedia® analyzed thousands of data points from 2018 to identify where Canadians will travel in the year ahead. The results show that the fastest-growing trends in travel include international destinations and non-traditional lodging options such as tentalows and tree houses. From an activities perspective, Canadians are embracing their love of the slopes, with ski activities such as equipment rentals seeing the biggest growth in this space year-over-year, and particularly in Western Canada.
2019: The Year of International Travel
Expedia crunched flight data from 20181 to determine the destinations seeing the most year-over-year growth, and it’s clear that Canadians are venturing beyond our borders and racking up those international miles. While Toronto, Las Vegas and London remain top destinations, those seeing the biggest year-over-year growth are a bit further away. From Europe to Southeast Asia, these are some of the most noteworthy trending destinations to add to the list, all of which showed double-digit growth:
- Germany: Frankfurt
- Portugal: Porto, Ponta Delgada, and Lisbon
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi
- Bahamas: Nassau
- Croatia: Zagreb and Split
- Spain: Malaga and the Canary Islands
- Australia: Melbourne
- Peru: Cusco
- Thailand: Phuket
Alternative accommodations are on the rise
While traditional resorts and hotels continue to be a favourite for Canadian travellers, Expedia data shows a growing interest in alternative lodging options, as travellers seek out unique and authentic experiences. Here are some of the fastest-growing accommodation types for 20182:
- Tentalows (cross between a tent and a bungalow) – up more than 95 percent year-over-year
- Agritourism properties – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Houseboats – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Tree houses – up more than 30 percent year-over-year
- Castles – up almost 30 percent year-over-year
- Chalets – up almost 25 percent year-over-year
Top trending activities include ski offerings and theme parks
Activities and experiences are increasingly popular as travellers look to personalize and customize their vacations. These are the fastest-growing activity categories for Canadians over the past year:
- Fastest-growing category: Ski offerings and hitting the slopes in the Canadians Rockies. The spots such as Whistler, Banff and Lake Louise lead the pack when it comes to the top trending places to rent equipment and catch some fresh powder.
- Runner-up: Theme parks. Exploring popular theme parks such as Disney and Universal Studios both reigned top spots for Canadian travellers.
- Third place: Events and show experiences round out the top categories, as travellers look to experience Broadway plays in New York, or Cirque shows in Las Vegas.
“It’s clear from this report that Canadians more and more are interested in personalized, unique travel experiences, whether close-to-home or abroad,” said Jennifer Callegaro, Head of Marketing, Brand Expedia. “And with Expedia’s mobile app it’s never been easier to browse and book on the fly. If looking to add a quick activity to your trip, the app allows you to filter things to do by proximity and popularity, making it simple to find the perfect addition to any holiday.”
Top hotels according to Expedia traveller reviews
When it comes to amenities, these are elements that Canadians continue to rave about when on vacation. The below three hotels, all located in cities across Canada, scored top ratings and amazing feedback from guests in the categories of best pools, views and service over the past year. If planning to explore more of the country in 2019, below are a few options to consider.
- Highly rated for its pool: Hotel Bonaventure in Montreal – For those looking for a luxurious option, this property has a year-round heated outdoor rooftop pool, which is surrounded by lush and tranquil gardens – the perfect place to relax.
- Highly rated for the views: Hilton Niagara Falls/Fallsview Hotel and Suites – Experience one of the wonders of the world, Niagara Falls. Take in this breath-taking view from the comfort of a beautiful suite. The Niagara region is a great place for a quick weekend getaway.
- Highly rated for service: This Toronto hotel is located in the heart of the city, One King West Hotel and Residenceranked top in this category for its exceptional service. If from the area, consider taking a staycation to recharge those batteries.
Most Popular Last-Minute Destinations
Not all travel needs to be planned months in advance, as sometimes there is an urge for a quick vacation fix. These cities rose to the top for Canadian travellers booking 0-6 days out3:
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
Most Popular Cities for Vacation Rentals
Vacation rentals are a great option for travelling in larger groups, whether that’s with family or friends. These cities ranked the highest for Canadians when booking vacation rentals4:
Expedia is one of the world’s largest full-service travel sites, helping millions of travellers per month easily plan and book travel. Expedia aims to provide the latest technology and widest selection of top vacation destinations, affordable airfare, hotel deals, car rentals, destination weddings, cruise deals and in-destination activities, attractions, services and travel apps. ©2019 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Expedia and the Airplane logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. Visit our web site https://www.expedia.ca or use our mobile app to book cheap flights, hotels, and packages.
1Based on flight demand on Expedia.ca from January 1, 2018 – November 1, 2018 compared to the same timeframe in 2017
2Based on demand on Expedia.ca from January 1, 2018 – September 30, 2018 compared to the same timeframe in 2017
3Based on bookings made 0-6 days in advance of the travel date on Expedia.ca from January 1, 2018 – November 1, 2018 compared to the same timeframe in 2017.
4Based on vacation rental demand on Expedia.ca from January 1, 2018 – November 1, 2018 compared to the same timeframe in 2017.
SOURCE Brand Expedia