Madrid, June 11, 2018. – Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, known for its four and five-star all-inclusive hotels, is celebrating its 20th anniversary of operations in Mexico. The brand, which hosts more than half a million guests at the destination every year, has reiterated its commitment to the Mexican tourism industry by announcing new investments in Los Cabos and Litibu.
“We are very delighted and grateful to celebrate this meaningful milestone and to have been able to provide great life experiences to millions of visitors over the years,” said Aurelio Vazquez, COO at Iberostar Group. “We are as committed to Mexico as the first day and proud of our contribution to tourism in the destination, which is preferred by so many travelers at a global level; and we look forward to many more decades of partnership and growth,” he added.
A Glimpse into the Past: Iberostar Hotels & Resorts in Mexico
With more than 60 years of experience and presence in 35 countries, Iberostar Group, a family business founded by Miguel Fluxà in Majorca, Spain, is a leader in international tourism with fabulous hotel properties, all of which are based on providing first class services aimed at guaranteeing guests’ full satisfaction. In 1997, Iberostar built its first hotels in Playa del Carmen: Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal. The brand later acquired and opened the Iberostar Cozumel in 1999, providing clients the best all-inclusive option when vacationing in the region.
In 2001, Iberostar kicked-off its Iberostar Playa Paraiso Golf and Spa Resort project, which for almost a decade would include new hotel property construction beginning with the Iberostar Paraiso Beach and the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar. The brand continued to build additional hotel properties throughout the first half of the decade, including its third hotel in the Paraiso complex, the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (2003), followed by the Iberostar Paraiso Maya (2005), and finally the Iberostar Grand Paraiso (2007). The completed construction includes endless amenities, a shopping plaza, convention center, an 18-hole golf course and spa facilities, among others.
As the allure of Mexico as a destination grew, so did the brand’s presence in the country. In 2012, Iberostar opened Iberostar Cancun. In 2013, it opened its first property on the Pacific Coast, the Iberostar Playa Mita in Riviera Nayarit.
During its first 20 years of commitment to Mexico, the brand has contributed to the development of the tourism industry through investments exceeding $775 million dollars and the creation of more than 4,500 direct jobs in the country.
In early 2018, Iberostar regrouped its hotels in three segments: city hotels, ocean resorts and Iberostar Heritage, a newly created category that includes classic hotels steeped in history and tradition. Iberostar hotels with the “Grand” distinctive are the brand’s luxury category and are present in all three of the new segments.
Iberostar will further strengthen its position in the high-end hotel segment thanks to an ongoing differentiation strategy covering four key elements: the very best locations, delicious gastronomy options, an unshakeable vocation for service, and a focus on people – those that make up Iberostar Group, customers, partners and society in general.
Today, throughout its 10 hotels in Mexico, Iberostar provides a world of fun activities and entertainment options for the entire family, including thrilling adventures, beautiful sights and fitness offerings. It also provides countless experiences for all types of travelers, including the adult traveler seeking relaxation at its adults-only resort Iberostar Grand Paraiso, the business traveler at its meeting venues and the golf aficionados at its world-class courses.
Iberostar’s comprehensive offering includes diverse programs that optimize the stay and enjoyment of its guests at the resort, from the budget friendly to upscale family and adults-only luxury accommodations.
- Fit & Fun – Iberostar’s complete fitness program is focused on guests’ well-being, with access to professional trainers, fitness group classes and state-of-the-art equipment.
- SPA Sensations – Iberostar’s wellness area provides massages, baths and treatments by professional therapists, and operates according to the recommendations of the International Spa Association to ensure guests receive quality treatments.
- MICE – Iberostar offers diverse world-class meetings and conventions spaces in Mexico for groups of all sizes. Among them, The Peninsula Convention Center is the only one in the Cancun area with spectacular sea views and a versatile interior space with three interconnected rooms, divisible into 22 meeting rooms. Its maximum simultaneous capacity is 3,450 people in cocktail party setup. On the other hand, the Iberostar Playa Paraiso Convention Center, with a capacity of 1,500, offers the latest audiovisual technology and six spacious conference halls and four meeting rooms. For smaller groups, the Iberostar Playa Mita’s meeting space can be customized, with nearly 7,000 square feet of combinable space in five rooms, with capacities ranging from 12 to 580 people, as well as a large rooftop terrace and garden areas.
- Golf – Iberostar offers three spectacular golf courses in Mexico: the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club, designed by Isao Aoki; the Iberostar Paraiso Golf Club, designed by P. B. Dye; and the Iberostar Litibu Golf Club, designed by Greg Norman. Regardless of the level of expertise, these golf courses provide a top-quality golf experience at unforgettable settings.
- StarCamp – Iberostar’s entertainment program for children, ages 4-17, is designed to encourage cognitive thinking through activities focused on their physical and creative development during vacations.
- Star Prestige – This offering by Iberostar features superior services and upgraded amenities to provide guests with the unparalleled comfort, convenience and intimacy of a boutique hotel with a private lounge, secluded beach club and much more.
- Weddings – With diverse wedding packages and a professional event team, wedding planning is a breeze at Iberostar. From Cozumel to the Mayan Riviera, Iberostar Mexico offers a brilliant location for destination weddings.
New Investments in Mexico
Iberostar continues to focus on its growth and is expanding its hotel portfolio in Mexico. In the short-term, the brand will be opening a new 13-story tower in its Cancun Golf and Spa Complex in late 2018.
The new tower will be located steps away from the sea and will feature 154 luxury suites overlooking the turquoise waters along Mexico’s most spectacular shoreline, a new bar, restaurant and pool. The new restaurant will have a capacity for 232 people and will serve buffet-style breakfast and lunch, as well as a-la-carte dining on evenings.
Iberostar has also announced a new hotel in Los Cabos and a second Iberostar hotel in Litibu. Iberostar’s Los Cabos property, with more than 43 million square feet and 1.24 miles of beach front in Zacatón, was bought in November 2017.
Iberostar’s Commitment to the Planet in Mexico and Beyond
For many years, Iberostar has worked to protect the environment and contributed to the development of local communities, as well as the respectful preservation of Mexican culture in its resorts and surrounding areas. Moreover, the hotel chain’s interior design team pays a significant homage to the local cultures in its final designs and, through a keen eye for detail, have brought this essence into each of its properties, without losing sight of the Iberostar brand’s identity focused on innovation, quality and excellence.
As an acknowledgment to the brand’s efforts and achievements in sustainability, the 10 Iberostar properties in Mexico were awarded the Green Globe Certification in 2015, a recognition in the travel and tourism sector granted after a structured evaluation with more than 300 compliance indicators. The certification has continued to be granted every year thereafter.
Wave of Change
The Iberostar Group is fully aware of the vital importance of the seas and oceans for the survival of the planet and humankind. With more than 80 percent of its hotels around the world in seafront locations, the company has drawn a road map in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, focusing on people, the driving force underpinning the company’s success, the environment, and the protection of the seas and oceans. To achieve the latter goal, Iberostar recently launched ‘Wave of Change’, an ambitious project centered on three main areas: the reduction of plastic pollution; the promotion of sustainable fishing; and the conservation of coral reefs and the protection of the Mediterranean Sea.
This ambitious project started in 2017 following an internal corporate audit that detected all the products containing plastic. Plastic straws are a case in point: following a campaign conducted in hotels to cut down on their use and replace them with biodegradable alternatives, usage has been reduced by 10%, which in real terms means a reduction of 10 million units.
In 2019, Iberostar Group’s portfolio of more than 110 hotels will be free of single-use plastics, following an initial implementation on the chain’s 36 Spain hotels by June this year.
The Iberostar Group is a 100% family-owned Spanish multinational company based in Palma de Mallorca (Spain). It has been operating in the tourist sector since 1956. With a sales network covering 35 countries and a staff of more than 28,000 employees, the Group handles 8 million customers a year. Hotels form the company’s core business, with a portfolio of 114 four and five-star hotels located in 17 countries on three continents. The Group has a further three business units: the holiday Club known as The Club; its travel and incoming activities, managed through the Almundo.com and World to Meet (W2M) companies respectively; and its real estate business, operated through Iberostate.
The Iberostar Group is owned by the Fluxà family and chaired by Miguel Fluxà Rosselló, founder of the Group’s current hotel unit and the Iberostar Hotels & Resorts brand.